Zygmuntian Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Zygmuntian Forums

The Forum of Gluon the Ferengi

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Creepy moments in the Surface World

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
GluontheFerengi
Admin

Creepy moments in the Surface World Empty
PostSubject: Creepy moments in the Surface World   Creepy moments in the Surface World EmptyFri Apr 29, 2011 8:46 pm

I cannot avoid the pop culture. It seeps into my life.

I found it creepy to learn that the new princess, Kate Middleton has spawned lookalikes. Each was wearing her dress and saying "I'm Kate Middleton" in the same voice.

These creepy things reveal so much about the mass culture.
People become mass produced commodities. The more a person/commodity is in demand. The more people want to BE it.

Not to mention, every dress designer in the world was waiting to see the wedding dress so they could race to put Middleton clone dresses on the market as quickly as possible.

Sad.

What are some telling moments for others?

Back to top Go down
https://gluontheferengi.board-directory.net
Nineofspades

Creepy moments in the Surface World Empty
PostSubject: Re: Creepy moments in the Surface World   Creepy moments in the Surface World EmptyMon May 23, 2011 11:10 am

I spent a good portion of last night wracking my brain for amusing little anecdotes and eventually resigned myself to the conclusion that "it goes to show how thorough-going the creeping normalcy of mass culture really is!". Not five minutes later, I walk in on my parents watching the BAFTAs just as the production team from the ITV are recieving an award for their coverage of last year's killing spree in Cumbria (Northern England). 30 seconds of footage, quick speech by the producer, raucous applause... Best Supporting Actress in a Period Drama. Brave New World moment if there ever was one.

And as far as the wedding was concerned... At least the media was far more explicit than usual about what it was we were supposed to feel. Although that did take some of the fun out of deconstruction, I guess.

Also, I don't know how it is in the United States, but something I find particularly disconcerting over here is the ubiquity of professional photographers in nightclubs, nowadays. I've only been old enough to start frequenting them for a couple of years now, but even in that short space of time have I noticed an appreciable increase.
Back to top Go down

Creepy moments in the Surface World
Page 1 of 1